On Westbrook Sports Precinct:
- 28 Jun 2021 – voted against the Trumper motion and expressed concern that this needs to be addressed in the first year of the LTP. ❤
- 18 May 2021 – voted against Shirley Trumper’s motion: That the discussion on the future of the Springfield Golf Course be deferred until such time as a full assessment is conducted by Council on a future sports facility that is fit for purpose to meet the future needs of the Rotorua community to go out for full consultation at the appropriate time. ❤
- 19 Apr 2021 – Apology for the Springfield Community Conversation due to prior commitments.
Strategy, Policy & Finance committee of 14 October 2021
Voted in favour of the Motion that:
- That the report titled “Westbrook Sports and Recreation Precinct” be received;
- That the Committee notes the nature and extent of the work that has been completed to date.
- That the Committee note since the Westbrook Sport & Recreation Precinct was initially signalled, Rotorua has increasing pressures relating to housing and infrastructure that has increased the strategic value of this open space area.🙁
- That the Committee support officers completing a comprehensive Play, Active Recreation and Sport Plan to inform future decisions on the Westbrook Sport & Recreation Precinct and the Springfield Golf Course.🙁
- That the Committee notes that officers will work with the Bay of Plenty Regional Council to complete all necessary modelling, planning and infrastructure design to support required residential growth requirements and reduce and manage flooding risk in the Utuhina stream catchment. 🙁
Council Meeting of 28 June 2021
I didn’t support this amendment. I didn’t feel it that was actually part of our long term plan. I felt that things that some of the areas that were part of the original recommendation were what I valued in this particular debate.
However, I would like to take on board the fact that, and acknowledge each and every one of you who have come here on behalf of Springfield Golf Course. I can see my auntie there. I can see many of my aunties out there in the public so Kia Ora kia koutou and I know you come with a lot of passion but one of the things I do want to talk about, as the Mayor has mentioned, the fact that this is agreed to be deferred.
I would like to ensure with this motion being deferred that it be addressed in the first year of the LTP. Whilst it is not part of our LTP, the wider discussion around the Westbrook Sports Precinct is. So that would be my only request in supporting this particular motion.
Could I propose an amendment to the motion as worded?
Mayor Chadwick: You don’t need to. You’re seeking an assurance. The CE (Chief Executive) has advised we don’t need an amendment for that assurance.
CE Geoff Williams: later gave an unconvincing “assurance” – Look absolutely. We’re very aware that this is piece of work that has got high public interest and therefore needs to be expedited quickly. That said, it is actually a large piece of work that will need to be undertaken so I couldn’t at this point actually provide a definitive timeline.